1 (edited by jurodj 2018-01-09 13:25:11)

Topic: NO AI Traffic in a Custom X-Life ATC Routes

Info:

This is a project I am trying to do in order to construct a fully functional ATC for MDSD Las Americas Airport in Dominican Republic since it even doesn't have buildings in X-Plane.

I am actually modifying 2 airports in DR, MDST and MDSD.

*- I have modified the MDSD Airport with Overlay Editor.
*- I have modified the MDSD Airport with WED.
*- MDST was not modified at all prior to set ATC routes.
*- ATC routes for both airports were created in X-Life Airport Editor

*- I started with an unmodified airport MDST and with this airport (without modifications) I was able to make ATC routes and with minor glitches it is working well.

Then I made the ATC routes the same way but with MDSD (modif some objects with WED and OE) I could not.

The issue is that I think yet I've made all the ATC correctly and I have not found errors when saving it in X-Life Airport Editor (.xls), but for some reason I don't get AI to work.

Can anyone have a little time to check it out and fix it or tell me what is wrong so I can make it work and then publish it for the whole X-Plane community.

*- I include here all the files I think it can be needed.

Would appreciate any help. I am attaching the files, if anyone need something more I would appreciate to ask me.

Thank You all!.
JM

Post's attachments

Attachment icon +18-070.dsf 8.07 kb, 413 downloads since 2018-01-08 

Attachment icon apt.dat 41.68 kb, 368 downloads since 2018-01-08 

Attachment icon Log.txt 40.21 kb, 466 downloads since 2018-01-08 

Attachment icon MDSD.xlf 3.68 kb, 416 downloads since 2018-01-08 

Re: NO AI Traffic in a Custom X-Life ATC Routes

Hi,

I've looked at your files and found the runway line missing, yes the main runway line is there on the editor RUNWAY tab but there needs to be one on the LINES tab too. I've taken the liberty of modifying your .xlf and cleaning up taxiways in some areas, avoid short runway offshoot lines along the runway as AI planes will head towards the end of the offshoot line away from the centre line before the turnoff point.
Obviously taxiways need naming so ATC taxi instructions can be issued and understood. It's not easy to tell without objects but you may need to revise maximum plane size at some gates, clearance on taxiways, overhanging service roads etc.
If you've not already seen it I produced an editor manual for JAR which is on a 'Sticky' at the top of the Custom ATC routes forum.

Happy editing, Phil

Post's attachments

Attachment icon MDSD.xlf 3.88 kb, 387 downloads since 2018-01-10 

Hi! I have seen your fixes and can see as you say that the runway line is both in RUNWAY tab and LINES tab. But I don't get how to draw it in RUNWAY tab.

In RUNWAY tab I only am able to set the runways for land and departure not to draw a line. So I don't know how to include the line in that tab. What I have to do?

JM

It is not possible to draw lines from the RUNWAY tab, with a new airport like this which has no previous X-Life taxiway files when the editor is first run it picks up the runway end marker coordinates from your apt.dat file and places a line automatically. This is how the line was placed in the .xlf I uploaded and in your original.
If you place your original .xlf in the X-Life/Airports folder and start the editor you'll see the RUNWAY tab line in place but runway lines are missing with the LINES tab selected.

5 (edited by jurodj 2018-01-31 21:58:18)

pwalchester wrote:

It is not possible to draw lines from the RUNWAY tab, with a new airport like this which has no previous X-Life taxiway files when the editor is first run it picks up the runway end marker coordinates from your apt.dat file and places a line automatically. This is how the line was placed in the .xlf I uploaded and in your original.
If you place your original .xlf in the X-Life/Airports folder and start the editor you'll see the RUNWAY tab line in place but runway lines are missing with the LINES tab selected.

As you say in the original .xlf I can see what you say is true there is no Runway in LINES tab. Maybe it was an error, but please when you have time check this another airport project MDST.xlf file I am attaching, it's the contrary. I can see the runway in the LINES tab but can't see it in the RUNWAY tab.

Maybe this is why I am getting the error to go from Gates to Runways.

I am not clear yet about this, I am still confused. Pardon me.

What I want to know is how is the way to do it properly. What I have to do with the runway issue once I load to edit a new airport or what to do with a case like this.

Thank you, I appreciate your help very much.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon MDST.xlf 3.08 kb, 362 downloads since 2018-01-31 

Attachment icon MDST.zip 1.16 kb, 144 downloads since 2018-01-31 

The key question is, how do I make the runway appear in both the LINES tab and the RUNWAYS tab ?.

That's the main problem that I think I have and that's why I do not connect the gates with the runway and it gives me the error of impossible to connect the gates with the runway.

Don't you think so?

If there is no apt.dat file for MDST then the editor can't pick up any coordinates, you said in your original post that MDST was not modified, has a runway been placed? I can't check this as you only uploaded files for MDSD.

Yes, I modified later. I included in my last post MDST files as xlf and zip. Just look the prior post. Don't you see the files?

9 (edited by jurodj 2018-02-01 14:13:54)

Here is the apt.dat for MDST

Post's attachments

Attachment icon apt.dat 25.65 kb, 354 downloads since 2018-02-01 

OK, I've created a scenery folder structure with the apt.dat file you posted. When I load the airport with your MDST.xlf the runway line is missing as you said, this may be down to a glitch when you did the original .xlf file. I removed your MDST.xlf from the X-Life/Airport folder and re-started the editor and the RUNWAY tab is showing the runway line as expected, as this is a small airport it is easy for you to start again, after removing your first .xlf file and checking your scenery folder structure is correct - Custom Scenery/MDST/Earth nav data/apt.dat - start the editor, check the RUNWAY tab has the imported runway line, and then add the taxi lines etc.

Yes, you are right. I did it an can now see the runway in the RUNWAY tab. Will start over and let's see what happens. Did you noticed any other error in taxilines or gates?

And thank you very much.

12 (edited by pwalchester 2018-02-02 09:08:05)

jurodj wrote:

Yes, you are right. I did it an can now see the runway in the RUNWAY tab. Will start over and let's see what happens. Did you noticed any other error in taxilines or gates?

And thank you very much.

MDSD - change short segment marked as runway at each end of runway to 'Hold area'. Taxiways need naming for ATC purposes.

MDST - presents additional problems due to being a runway with no taxiways to the end points.
You need to include turnaround lines at each end, see example file which I made for testing purposes.
Consider enlarging turnaround aprons and taxi area, large arriving aircraft seem to be missing the nodes and taxiing on grass back to nearest runway exit.
Settings need to be chosen to reduce missed approach occurrences, as it's a small airport traffic density and stands busy can both be at max, but runway operation interval from my short time watching needs to be at least 2.5 minutes because nearly all arriving aircraft taxi to the turnaround before returning to the exit.
Consider the start ramps you make available, it's not unusual for available start ramps to be less than the number of gate positions at an airport but it would be nice to cover all sizes of aircraft at start positions.
Gate B5 is set back from the X-Life gate B5 position, not sure which is correct.
If you decide to publish the airport and .xlf specify the settings needed for correct operation.

Hope this helps, Phil

Post's attachments

Attachment icon MDST.xlf 3.07 kb, 366 downloads since 2018-02-02 

Before begining tweaking airports I tried to learn and fix the AI traffic issue with X-Plane airports not X-Life ready.

Thanks to your help, I think I have solved the traffic issues with X-Life.

Now I am able to make it happen in all airports I am working on. And all the names for Taxiways will be set. I am working along with the airport charts to name them correctly.

Have some things though about as you say planes like planes turning out of runways at the end of the runway in order to depart and take off, but as I see here you comment something about the solution, will check it out.

1.- MDST
Precisely was to ask you about how to make those turnaround lines at each end because I don't have an idea, where is located the example testing file you talk about, so I can download it?

a.- Enlarging turnaround aprons and taxi area do you mean in WED?

b.- Settings will not be a problem since at first I had them to full to view traffic issues, but each one will be adjusted accordingly.

c.- Start Ramps comments noted!.

d.- I don't understand well about B5, I repositioned it not sure if it is fine hope it is. I have to make fine adjustments to all anyway.

2.- MDSD
All changes made and works well.

When I set a Gate and mark it as Heli, there is an error if I don't connect it to a taxiway, do I need to connect it to the runway also like the usual set up? I mean GATE-TAXIWAY-HLD SHORT-RWY?. Then what about the setting for Parking/Layout and Taxiways directions, Size?

Thanks Phil.

jurodj wrote:

Before begining tweaking airports I tried to learn and fix the AI traffic issue with X-Plane airports not X-Life ready.

Thanks to your help, I think I have solved the traffic issues with X-Life.

Now I am able to make it happen in all airports I am working on. And all the names for Taxiways will be set. I am working along with the airport charts to name them correctly.

Have some things though about as you say planes like planes turning out of runways at the end of the runway in order to depart and take off, but as I see here you comment something about the solution, will check it out.

1.- MDST
Precisely was to ask you about how to make those turnaround lines at each end because I don't have an idea, where is located the example testing file you talk about, so I can download it?

a.- Enlarging turnaround aprons and taxi area do you mean in WED?

b.- Settings will not be a problem since at first I had them to full to view traffic issues, but each one will be adjusted accordingly.

c.- Start Ramps comments noted!.

d.- I don't understand well about B5, I repositioned it not sure if it is fine hope it is. I have to make fine adjustments to all anyway.

2.- MDSD
All changes made and works well.

When I set a Gate and mark it as Heli, there is an error if I don't connect it to a taxiway, do I need to connect it to the runway also like the usual set up? I mean GATE-TAXIWAY-HLD SHORT-RWY?. Then what about the setting for Parking/Layout and Taxiways directions, Size?

Thanks Phil.

Hi,
1. The example file is MDST.xlf attached to my last post
a.- Yes if you decide to do it you would have to do this in WED

Heli gates just need to be connected to a taxiway, just like any other gate/stand. Parking layout shouldn't matter and taxiway directions can be left as 2-way. I would imagine most helicopters fit into the A & B categories, something like a Chinook would be size C.

Phil

Yes, I solved the issue for MDST, no problems at all. I think now I perfectly manage this thanks to you.

I have 2 issues left, one is that sometimes certain planes park where they shouldn't and I have to check the gates, and the other is that I have a lot of liveries that don't visit those airports not the correct ones. Romanov suggested me to try the Beta version but I have seen many problems in the comments and I don't want X-Plane issues so I prefer to wait until the new version is ready, but meanwhile is there a solution for this?

Which is the difference between a Gate and a Stand?

Juan

X-Life v2.1r1 is out now and works well, see details here http://jardesign.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3747
Gates have Jetways to protect passengers from the weather, these can be animated by using the Autogate system by Marginal, this also provides a docking guidance system, see here https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f … te-plugin/

Phil

I have and used autogate. Will update airports gates when ready.

Will try the new release and let u know.

Thank You Phil.

Phil, I don't know if I am doing something wrong but installed ver 2.1 R1 and look what is happening.

You can check real arrivals to MDSD in the pictures I attached and look at the actual load of X-Life. No corresponding liveries and no arrivals programmed.

First I replaced the new X-Life folder but almost all the work done was lost, gates settings and no taxiways that were included in previous versions, then I again replace the old folder and only replaced the new .xpl file and you can see what happened.

Any comments?

Regards, Juan

Here are the picts.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Arrivals MDSD.JPG 63.44 kb, 158 downloads since 2018-02-04 

Attachment icon MDSD Actual.JPG 324.97 kb, 150 downloads since 2018-02-04 

Juan,

Do you have the Bluebell AI traffic installed? If not go to the v2.1 post again, links and instructions are there.

Regards, Phil

Hi Phil, hope everything is fine there.

Listen, jajaja, I had some issues with MDSD airport from arriving aircrafts which after landing and beginning taxi to gates in middle way turning into runway and then to taxiway again.

I erased some taxiways, changed to oneway, changed directions, one by one  without results until I deleted them all and draw them again and inserted points right in the middle and mark them as usual TWY and HDL SHRT. They are fixed already.

After that last change, proper traffic began to be present but not completely, but it is fair.

What I have is Cargo Aircrafts standing in regular passenger gates. And Yes, I have bluebell installed.

What do you suggest, fixing it with WED or re-installing Bluebell again or what?

Really man, I appreciate your help but most your interest in keep teaching me.

Regards, Juan!

Hi Juan,

I don't think this can be fixed in the .xlf file or WED, it's probably more an issue with X-Life now real schedules are used, I have seen this problem at other airports. Only thing I can suggest is try increasing the number of Cargo gates in .xlf if you have room on the apron, other than that try asking the question on the Updates / X-Life V2.1 R1 forum, but JAR are focused on the A330 v3 update at the moment.

Regards, Phil

Hi Phil, I solved the problem. After several deletes and draw again I've got a decent usual airlines into airports.

What I am having now is that when I fly from one airport to another (X-Life fixed both) when I land I don't see any other aircrafts in movement. To do so, I have to shut down X-Life and start it again so the airport becomes to life.

Even I fixed TJSJ (San Juan PR) and flying between TJSJ and MDSD (both X-life fixed) at arrival to any one airport no AI is present or functioning. I have to activate again X-life in order to work again.

What do you think?

Juan

Hi Juan,

Not sure, X-Life stops following traffic at departing airport around 50+ miles and loads in arrival airport traffic about 50 miles before, you can monitor this on X-Life tower display. As the flight route is 200 miles there is enough distance between airports. I was going to try and re-create this but X-Plane crashes when I try to load the editor at TJSJ so I can't create ground routes.

Phil

Hi Phil, I have created ATC routes for TJSJ and they work perfectly fine.

I will post a .zip file with all airport data I use for it. You will see some few taxiways are not named yet because I have no information about them and have not found any diagram to properly name them. Just a few, mainly the general aviation parking aprons.

Also there are some static aircraft that interfere in the parking slots but I haven't found them in Wed to delete them.

But the main thing is that few aircrafts are parking in wrong slots, it is not supposed a FEDEX plane to park in a passenger gate.

Anything else. I am doing this because my main interest in learn this as I find it so interesting. Thank you very much for your interest in teaching me.

Juan.