Topic: Too much has changed in update 061021

Thank you for updating "Linda". We waited quite a long time to get some little things fixed. But in my opinion you have overdone. Instead of fixing the annoying and a few minor details, you have changed so much that Linda literally interferes with me now. I stick with my 'old' Linda for now. What do you think of the last update?

Win 10, XP11

Re: Too much has changed in update 061021

Just after we post Linda for new JD340 - a lot of people who test it ask us to create CoPilot flow using the same manner. And still get happy feedbacks. But not this one. Sadly, you are NOT provide ANY DETAILS about things what you unlike.

Please read a FAQ before you post a bug http://support.jardesign.org

Have updated to the latest 061021 version, certainly there is much more functionality than before. But also some more difficulties in "Crew Resource Management". I can now select Linda to only perform PM duties, but even in that mode now she starts executing checklists without being asked, e.g. she did the electrical start-up. I go with my usual checklist that is never wrong, so had to wait for her to stop and recheck each single step afterwards to make sure all was fine. She then started to act on the air conditioning/cabin pressurization, had to recheck to find half the steps had not been performed. Also, at a point while I was proceeding through FMC input, she started the APU (ok, that would go, but later) but also chose to shut down the E/C pumps on both hydraulic circuits (and this is a no-go I had to promptly rectify). I was worried through the flight that something more would be changed - just while I was most busy to fly-navigate and communicate; but gladly she only did the usual (lights, fuel pumps, engines CONT on/off and such). Have to say, it takes a bit to get accustomed to those "initiatives" by a copilot, I would have yelled "STOP" at her if only that could work. Is there any hidden command (as neither the manual nor the command list show anything) to effectively limit Linda to what she does best, or to stop doing anything she decided to start?

_al_ wrote:

Have updated to the latest 061021 version, certainly there is much more functionality than before. But also some more difficulties in "Crew Resource Management". I can now select Linda to only perform PM duties, but even in that mode now she starts executing checklists without being asked, e.g. she did the electrical start-up. I go with my usual checklist that is never wrong, so had to wait for her to stop and recheck each single step afterwards to make sure all was fine. She then started to act on the air conditioning/cabin pressurization, had to recheck to find half the steps had not been performed. Also, at a point while I was proceeding through FMC input, she started the APU (ok, that would go, but later) but also chose to shut down the E/C pumps on both hydraulic circuits (and this is a no-go I had to promptly rectify). I was worried through the flight that something more would be changed - just while I was most busy to fly-navigate and communicate; but gladly she only did the usual (lights, fuel pumps, engines CONT on/off and such). Have to say, it takes a bit to get accustomed to those "initiatives" by a copilot, I would have yelled "STOP" at her if only that could work. Is there any hidden command (as neither the manual nor the command list show anything) to effectively limit Linda to what she does best, or to stop doing anything she decided to start?

Please understand well what we absolutely ready to improve this plugin and FO flow. On this way - only things we nee - get details what may be improved/reworked, discuss it to decide are this things really need to be changed and execute this - make changes in scripts. Sure, board format is not good for this work and Skype j.a.romanov is best for this. So, welcome.

J.A.Romanov wrote:

Please understand well what we absolutely ready to improve this plugin and FO flow. On this way - only things we nee - get details what may be improved/reworked, discuss it to decide are this things really need to be changed and execute this - make changes in scripts. Sure, board format is not good for this work and Skype j.a.romanov is best for this. So, welcome.

Glad about the commitment to improve. I'd like then to provide some details IMHO of what could deserve improvement (here for now, will see if the case to meet on Skype later).

First, I can notice the option to "execute PM (copilot) job only" is not permanent. Every time I restart a flight that switches back to "execute PM and PF (both) job".
Then, the "emergency STOP" - when Linda starts doing something of her mind, Captain has to retain power to stop her and then proceed as he sees fit.

I could not find a readable form of the scripts with this plugin files (of course scripts exist for Linda to act, so seems they are within a compiled file). Therefore my observations come from only what can see Linda actually doing and the "Normal checklist" with this plugin manual.

To me it seems Linda performs the procedures in accordance with the B737 FCOM Normal or Supplementary Procedures. Which is good; however is to be noted that each company adopts their own procedures. With the Zibo B737 there is need to set more than just what Boeing mentions (lots of actions are performed through the EFB, e.g. fueling, loading, doors, cabin lights, PA, pushback) and therefore specific checklists have been created for the Zibo version. There are at least 2 I know of, one from Skymatix and one from vin_KaiZen. But clearly, this does not exclude others may wish to use other custom checklists. While performing FMC and EFB entries would be outside the scope of this plugin, all other actions have to be accomplished in accordance with the same checklists. Can only see one solution here: to allow "moddability" so the scripts are actually readable and changeable by the end-user.

I have not (yet) checked all the steps Linda performs, but one error is clear with the "Electrical Power Up": in the case GND Power is available, Linda still starts and connects the APU generator, while Boeing procedure (and others) simply connect the external power (APU is started only later, during Preflight procedure).

Preparing for landing, I would like to see Linda able to replicate on the co-pilot side the entries done on the captain's (CRS, Minimum, Baro, and the ILS frequency if one is set, so to achieve CATIII autolanding).

_al_ wrote:
J.A.Romanov wrote:

Glad about the commitment to improve. I'd like then to provide some details IMHO of what could deserve improvement (here for now, will see if the case to meet on Skype later).

First, I can notice the option to "execute PM (copilot) job only" is not permanent. Every time I restart a flight that switches back to "execute PM and PF (both) job".
Then, the "emergency STOP" - when Linda starts doing something of her mind, Captain has to retain power to stop her and then proceed as he sees fit.

I could not find a readable form of the scripts with this plugin files (of course scripts exist for Linda to act, so seems they are within a compiled file). Therefore my observations come from only what can see Linda actually doing and the "Normal checklist" with this plugin manual.

To me it seems Linda performs the procedures in accordance with the B737 FCOM Normal or Supplementary Procedures. Which is good; however is to be noted that each company adopts their own procedures. With the Zibo B737 there is need to set more than just what Boeing mentions (lots of actions are performed through the EFB, e.g. fueling, loading, doors, cabin lights, PA, pushback) and therefore specific checklists have been created for the Zibo version. There are at least 2 I know of, one from Skymatix and one from vin_KaiZen. But clearly, this does not exclude others may wish to use other custom checklists. While performing FMC and EFB entries would be outside the scope of this plugin, all other actions have to be accomplished in accordance with the same checklists. Can only see one solution here: to allow "moddability" so the scripts are actually readable and changeable by the end-user.

I have not (yet) checked all the steps Linda performs, but one error is clear with the "Electrical Power Up": in the case GND Power is available, Linda still starts and connects the APU generator, while Boeing procedure (and others) simply connect the external power (APU is started only later, during Preflight procedure).

Preparing for landing, I would like to see Linda able to replicate on the co-pilot side the entries done on the captain's (CRS, Minimum, Baro, and the ILS frequency if one is set, so to achieve CATIII autolanding).

Thank you for detailed info - I am sure we can deal with many of them, some - must be discussed. Also, be good to have direct contact via Skype to test, discuss "on the fly" and so on. But this is - as you prefer, sure. This is not "one moment" thing, but some result will be.

hello Sir,
thanks to upgrade Linda Copilot but I have many problems with my copilot. Some procedure are made too fast and not at the good time.
I want to use an old version please can you help me.

Thanks a lot
Stay Safe

amar_bakti wrote:

hello Sir,
thanks to upgrade Linda Copilot but I have many problems with my copilot. Some procedure are made too fast and not at the good time.
I want to use an old version please can you help me.

Thanks a lot
Stay Safe

Old version is available to - http://jardesign.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11979

So, updated version just published

+ electrical power up procedure auto start fix
+ electrical power up procedure GPU issue fixed
+ preliminary preflight procedure improved
+ preflight procedure improved
+ ILS freq set command add for CAT3 approach
+ add fast reject/abort command (may be assigned to button)

http://jardesign.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11979

10 (edited by _al_ 2021-11-08 19:01:51)

J.A.Romanov wrote:

Many thanks for further improving this product.
I did some limited testing with this new version:
- the fast abort command works perfectly!
- Linda does recognize when external power (GPU) is connected while performing the Electrical Power-Up procedure, however does not when external power comes from Jetway (so she proceeds to start and connect the APU instead);
- if requested to perform Electrical Power-Up procedure again when GPU is present and already latched (feeding the plane), Linda goes on to again start and connect the APU (anyway for such cases, I would suggest to somehow disable the ability to request procedures already completed, based on the state of something relevant, e.g. in this case the electrical onboard bus being already powered).
- Linda does some "magic"  in relation to ILS setting (command to set NAV for CAT3). What I'm seeing is on the Navigation Display the localizer on NAV2 being set in accordance to what set on NAV1 (this happens also with VOR/DME, not only ILS); however frequency is not changed on NAV2 receiver. Now, the functionality is possibly achieved in different ways on different plane models, but with Zibo 737 (v 3.50.26) I still couldn't activate the second autopilot (so, CMD-A and CMD-B both on) with just the "ND localizer". Had to actually tune the NAV-2 receiver on the ILS and use that frequency, so to be able after the localizer was captured on one channel, to bring up also the second channel and perform CAT3 autolanding.
- though could observe the procedures just once till now, I believe now both preliminary preflight and preflight procedures are more faithful to the Boeing 737 NP in the FCOM.

_al_ wrote:
J.A.Romanov wrote:

Many thanks for further improving this product.
I did some limited testing with this new version:
- the fast abort command works perfectly!
- Linda does recognize when external power (GPU) is connected while performing the Electrical Power-Up procedure, however does not when external power comes from Jetway (so she proceeds to start and connect the APU instead);
- if requested to perform Electrical Power-Up procedure again when GPU is present and already latched (feeding the plane), Linda goes on to again start and connect the APU (anyway for such cases, I would suggest to somehow disable the ability to request procedures already completed, based on the state of something relevant, e.g. in this case the electrical onboard bus being already powered).
- Linda does some "magic"  in relation to ILS setting (command to set NAV for CAT3). What I'm seeing is on the Navigation Display the localizer on NAV2 being set in accordance to what set on NAV1 (this happens also with VOR/DME, not only ILS); however frequency is not changed on NAV2 receiver. Now, the functionality is possibly achieved in different ways on different plane models, but with Zibo 737 (v 3.50.26) I still couldn't activate the second autopilot (so, CMD-A and CMD-B both on) with just the "ND localizer". Had to actually tune the NAV-2 receiver on the ILS and use that frequency, so to be able after the localizer was captured on one channel, to bring up also the second channel and perform CAT3 autolanding.
- though could observe the procedures just once till now, I believe now both preliminary preflight and preflight procedures are more faithful to the Boeing 737 NP in the FCOM.

We just make changes what you tell about and I can offer to test and discuss it before release. My Skype j.a.romanov
Else - you may contact me via www.support.jardesign.org please