1 (edited by FrenchFruits 2018-01-16 20:47:20)

Topic: KSJC Custom Routes

Hey all. I figured I'd contribute back with my first custom route.
I'd love to get feedback if anyone spots anything completely wrong.

Routes were built for this scenery: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f … l-airport/

Post's attachments

Attachment icon KSJC.xlf 11.34 kb, 370 downloads since 2018-01-16 

Re: KSJC Custom Routes

I've tried to clean up the airport as much as possible but it seems to still be crashing. If any of you better route designers could take a look I'd love to get it working!

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Log.txt 67.71 kb, 432 downloads since 2018-01-16 

Attachment icon x-life.dmp 220.01 kb, 373 downloads since 2018-01-16 

FrenchFruits wrote:

I've tried to clean up the airport as much as possible but it seems to still be crashing. If any of you better route designers could take a look I'd love to get it working!

Send your airport xlf file again so I can have a look at it. Also something else maybe causing your CTD try removing the X Chatter plugin and running X-Life without it. Supposedly now there's integration with X-Chatter with X-Life but I have no idea how that is supposed to be properly configured because I don't have it. Check the forum for info on this. Actually I just read something says the External Integrations box has to be checked if you are using it with X-Life ATC.

Here is my most up to date version. Crashes seemed to have gone away for the most part except things are still all over the place. I'm being held short for 20+ minutes and AI go around almost every other arrival.

I followed the X-Life manual for design patterns but when I look up other airports in the editor it seems like they don't follow the manual. I definitely think there must be a problem with my hold short -> runway exchanges.

Anyways lmk if you spot anything off! Thank you

Post's attachments

Attachment icon KSJC.xlf 10.79 kb, 358 downloads since 2018-01-17 

FrenchFruits wrote:

Here is my most up to date version. Crashes seemed to have gone away for the most part except things are still all over the place. I'm being held short for 20+ minutes and AI go around almost every other arrival.

I followed the X-Life manual for design patterns but when I look up other airports in the editor it seems like they don't follow the manual. I definitely think there must be a problem with my hold short -> runway exchanges.

Ok I will look at it. Actually there was a very recent change to how Hold Short Orange lines are to be placed according to JAR so the manual does need to be updated! I will clean up what I find and test it for you then repost it. And you are right other airports in that come with X-Life have to be updated in regards to Hold Short lines. The great thing is it's easy fix I really like using the Editor. I think it's easier than using WED for Taxi layouts and Gate assignments. You save your work and restart the traffic with no wasted time.

6 (edited by cmckjodi 2018-01-18 21:04:42)

cmckjodi wrote:
FrenchFruits wrote:

Ok I will look at it. Actually there was a very recent change to how Hold Short Orange lines are to be placed according to JAR so the manual does need to be updated! I will clean up what I find and test it for you then repost it. And you are right other airports in that come with X-Life have to be updated in regards to Hold Short lines. The great thing is it's easy fix I really like using the Editor. I think it's easier than using WED for Taxi layouts and Gate assignments. You save your work and restart the traffic with no wasted time.

Tried to work with it but no luck. Mine doesn't even work well either. The airport is unverified with X-Life so I don't think it's in the code. Once planes start going around it messes things all up.

cmckjodi wrote:

Tried to work with it but no luck. Mine doesn't even work well either. The airport is unverified with X-Life so I don't think it's in the code. Once planes start going around it messes things all up.

Yup exactly what happens to me now. I just figured unverified meant it had been modified by user. I really would love to volunteer my time to build dozens of airports for X-life but if its this complicated each time it'll make it really difficult. Would love to see if JAR new a way around this. Not much love for the the bay area, even though we have 4 (and a half) major airports sad

Thanks for your time!

8 (edited by cmckjodi 2018-01-19 02:19:12)

FrenchFruits wrote:
cmckjodi wrote:

Yup exactly what happens to me now. I just figured unverified meant it had been modified by user. I really would love to volunteer my time to build dozens of airports for X-life but if its this complicated each time it'll make it really difficult. Would love to see if JAR new a way around this. Not much love for the the bay area, even though we have 4 (and a half) major airports sad

Thanks for your time!

Sure I gave it my best shot, I know unverified airports take the fun out of it sad

9 (edited by pwalchester 2018-01-19 09:16:38)

cmckjodi wrote:
FrenchFruits wrote:
cmckjodi wrote:

Thanks for your time!

Sure I gave it my best shot, I know unverified airports take the fun out of it sad

I think, hope, I see the problem. Your most recent .xlf has, in addition the the now incorrect method of marking taxiways as red runway on off ramps, continuous hold areas between the parallel runways. Make sure there is a line marked as taxiway between the runways to prevent the landing runway being locked into busy mode. I've altered your .xlf to show this.
With airports that have static aircraft I have also got into the habit of including lines and gates/stands for static aircraft (mark the gates as Static), that way only minimal editing is required if someone produces a nostatic version of the airport.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon KSJC.xlf 10.84 kb, 331 downloads since 2018-01-19 

10 (edited by cmckjodi 2018-01-19 12:54:50)

pwalchester wrote:
cmckjodi wrote:
FrenchFruits wrote:

Thanks for your time!

I think, hope, I see the problem. Your most recent .xlf has, in addition the the now incorrect method of marking taxiways as red runway on off ramps, continuous hold areas between the parallel runways. Make sure there is a line marked as taxiway between the runways to prevent the landing runway being locked into busy mode. I've altered your .xlf to show this.
With airports that have static aircraft I have also got into the habit of including lines and gates/stands for static aircraft (mark the gates as Static), that way only minimal editing is required if someone produces a nostatic version of the airport.

Unfortunately this is not the answer. Using your xlf these planes still got all locked up. Something needs to be changed in the code or an option be made to free up the traffic. Perhaps a way to set a time limit to automatically free up the traffic. Thanks for looking at this. I will keep experimenting.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon IMG.JPG 177.95 kb, 146 downloads since 2018-01-19 

cmckjodi wrote:
pwalchester wrote:
cmckjodi wrote:

Unfortunately this is not the answer. Using your xlf these planes still got all locked up. Something needs to be changed in the code or an option be made to free up the traffic. Perhaps a way to set a time limit to automatically free up the traffic. Thanks for looking at this. I will keep experimenting.

Ok so what I did was exported my WED apt dat of KSJC and made a new xlf file from that using the OLD rules which JAR said if using WED. It now works great. So if an airport is unverified with X-Life use your own WED apt dat files to create the xlf file. By doing this also I have way more activity as shown at the bottom left screen. No lockups after 20 minutes!

Post's attachments

Attachment icon IMG2.JPG 239.86 kb, 104 downloads since 2018-01-19 

Did'nt see any lockups earlier but had lockups with 2.0 and 2.1b7 now, plus the flight timings with 2.1b7 are out of step. I've come to the point where maybe spending too much time firefighting while we're in the current 2.1 beta phase is a waste of resources.

13 (edited by cmckjodi 2018-01-20 16:29:10)

pwalchester wrote:

Did'nt see any lockups earlier but had lockups with 2.0 and 2.1b7 now, plus the flight timings with 2.1b7 are out of step. I've come to the point where maybe spending too much time firefighting while we're in the current 2.1 beta phase is a waste of resources.

I think what JAR really needs to do is have better traffic logic. No need for planes downfield or waiting to take off to be waiting so long for a planes on approach. I think 5 to 3.5 miles out is the limit depending upon weather and visibility. I'm sure having the right traffic timings is a huge challenge, but the main thing IMO would be to have more efficient departure clearances and also a way for a user to define departure and arrival runways I think would really help. For instance 4R for departures, 4L arrivals at xxxx airport. Busy airports are often setup this way as in real life. But still some nice improvements have already been made. We keep testing for JAR.

cmckjodi wrote:
pwalchester wrote:

I think what JAR really needs to do is have better traffic logic. No need for planes downfield or waiting to take off to be waiting so long for a planes on approach. I think 5 to 3.5 miles out is the limit depending upon weather and visibility. I'm sure having the right traffic timings is a huge challenge, but the main thing IMO would be to have more efficient departure clearances and also a way for a user to define departure and arrival runways I think would really help. For instance 4R for departures, 4L arrivals at xxxx airport. Busy airports are often setup this way as in real life. But still some nice improvements have already been made. We keep testing for JAR.

You can define runway take off and landing restrictions in airport editor.

iMac5K 27” (2015), i7 4GHz, OSX 10.14.6, 32GB, AMD M395X 4096MB, Saitek X52, TPM, Radio, Switch & Multi, TM MFD, XP11.35r1, FFA320v0.11.2-2305, ToLiSs A319 v1.3.3, JDA320 v3.4r1, JDA330 v3.2r1, XL v4_250719, FM v2.6r2,  GndHdg v.4.010719, Air Plugin v4.8.3,  FWL 2.7.19, 3jFPS-wizard, PI v2.73.06, NOAA v2.4.4, XSPs v2.75, XCL v1.37, BPB v0.47, SAM 1.1.0