Topic: Autopilot Problem

I have recently purchased the A330 and have experienced a number of problems which I am working through one-by-one with the help of this forum. My flight today illustrates my problems as  far as the autopilot is concerned. After take off the AP engaged and remained engaged long enough to enable the plane to avoid terrain obstacles. After that it disengaged and although it could be engaged again, it only remained so for a few seconds at a time. I repeatedly re-engaged, but always with the same result. When the AP disengaged, the plane gained height rapidly, and when the AP re-engaged for a few seconds there was an abrupt descent. Fortunately, the plane had gained enough height to prevent these violent oscillations from  becoming catastrophic. I had the same problem yesterday, and just gave up.  Today, I decided to do battle with the AP until it either complied, or the plane crashed, whichever came earlier. Flying from Manchester to Munich, I pressed the AP button over and over again for at least half an hour if not longer. Eventually, over Holland the AP remained engaged, and remained so for most of the rest of the flight, with the exception of a couple of tantrums on reaching cruise height and again briefly during the descent. After a go round I managed to do a full cat III ILS landing, getting a round of applause from the passengers and compliments from the FO. Nevertheless, I’m sure there must be a way of flying this plane with the AP without having to repeatedly press the AP button.  I’m obviously missing something but for the life of me, I don’t know what. I have attached a log file and some screenshots in the hope that one of you can shed some light on this problem.  When it behaves, this is a fantastic plane, which is why I persevere with it.

Re: Autopilot Problem

I can't see any attachments. Please check they were uploaded correctly.
What you describe occurs when the aircraft is in a non-sustainable configuration, for example overspeed, too low speed etc.
Make sure you have prepared the aircraft before start-up and that the check lists are all checked as you go through the procedures.
You should also make sure the FMGC is correctly programmed, e.g., have you entered all the correct speeds V1, VR, V2 ?
Have you set Flex Temperature, CG etc. Is the aircraft correctly fueled?
Without logs and a detailed description on how you prepared the aircraft (step-by-step) it is not possible to help more at this time.
Suffice it to say, this does not happen when the aircraft is correctly configured.

iMac5K 27” (2015), i7 4GHz, OSX 10.14.6, 32GB, AMD M395X 4096MB, Saitek X52, TPM, Radio, Switch & Multi, TM MFD, XP11.35r1, FFA320v0.11.2-2305, ToLiSs A319 v1.3.3, JDA320 v3.4r1, JDA330 v3.2r1, XL v4_250719, FM v2.6r2,  GndHdg v.4.010719, Air Plugin v4.8.3,  FWL 2.7.19, 3jFPS-wizard, PI v2.73.06, NOAA v2.4.4, XSPs v2.75, XCL v1.37, BPB v0.47, SAM 1.1.0

Sorry for not attaching the log.txt. I thought I had. I will when I find out how!

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Log.txt 203.89 kb, 578 downloads since 2016-06-07 

4 (edited by laohu314 2016-06-07 22:05:06)

chris.daniel-aka-ritual wrote:

Sorry for not attaching the log.txt. I thought I had. I will when I find out how!

I know, it's a daunting experience getting started. Then again, it is a pretty realistic flight simulator, not a game so some home work is inevitable. There is plenty of material out there but is rather voluminous.

From what I see in your log, you are running XFMC. That will cause problems with the A330. I would definitely get rid of it. It's redundant anyway. The A300 has a pretty comprehensive FMGC.
Also, check that your throttle is stable. In the beginning I had issues with finding the right detent and it kept flipping (have a look in the cockpit as you are flying, if it is oscillating back and forth rapidly, try to stabilize it). It can be a bit difficult to keep it stable, depending on what hardware you have. I use the Saitek X52.
Lastly, if you keep having problems please also post the bbox.txt file from your A330 folder.

iMac5K 27” (2015), i7 4GHz, OSX 10.14.6, 32GB, AMD M395X 4096MB, Saitek X52, TPM, Radio, Switch & Multi, TM MFD, XP11.35r1, FFA320v0.11.2-2305, ToLiSs A319 v1.3.3, JDA320 v3.4r1, JDA330 v3.2r1, XL v4_250719, FM v2.6r2,  GndHdg v.4.010719, Air Plugin v4.8.3,  FWL 2.7.19, 3jFPS-wizard, PI v2.73.06, NOAA v2.4.4, XSPs v2.75, XCL v1.37, BPB v0.47, SAM 1.1.0

I am extremely grateful to laohu314 for taking the time and the trouble to examine the log file I submitted and for the valuable suggestions made. My previous experience with complicated simulations was with the PMDG Boeings in FSX, which led me to assume, mistakenly as it turns out, that I would quickly master flying an Airbus. I now accept that some patient study will be required to get the most out of the A330. Removing XFMC will not be a hardship as I rarely use it. The point made about the throttle is very relevant as I noticed halfway through my last flight that the throttles were still fully open from take off. I was labouring under the impression that once the AP is engaged, auto-thrust would take over and render the throttle settings redundant. So, all-in-all my early difficulties with this aeroplane have provided a useful lesson in how limited my present knowledge of the A330 is and how much there is to learn. A daunting simulation for a beginner certainly, but it is the complexity that provides the interest. I am thankful that there are the  resources of this forum to point me in the right direction. Many thanks once again.

You are very welcome!
We all go through this in the beginning and that's why we have this forum and others to get help and help others when we can.
The A320neo and A330 are formidable aircraft and a great joy to fly.

It is disappointing to see how community members try the solution for this kind of problems.
I just bought the JD A330 and I have the same issues.
And in Airbus family I can tell you that I am a very proficient flier.
Despite this model does not match the performance of the Aerosoft line I can tell you that I have managed JAR A320 well with its issues as many thing do not perform as they should but in the case of A330 there is an issue there even with no plug ins and XP11 functioning well and solid.
The worst thing is that in 2017 (this post is old for sure) I can not find a solution and JD support is awful. Always old posts.
But the thing is try and try and try.
If you did find a solution, pls post it! If not I will let you know.
JM

8 (edited by euroking2018 2019-01-04 03:11:35)

The AP works in a defined area only.
If the current flight parameters, for example, speed, incline, etc., are out of this range, the AP will be shut down again and again. Its task as pilot is to stabilize the aircraft so that the AP can take over again.
This is an exercise thing.

The new A320 3.31 is quite impossible to fly, lots of problems with autopilot , with FMS
Bad job from JAR

I will invest again !