Topic: NORTHREF button INOP in my plane.

The video of the flight Toulouse Zurich is very interresting. By the way I saw in it a pilot using the button NORTHREF in a very usefull manner !!!!
Pressing the boutton and the flight plan appears, what I try to do sometime with the range..
How to have that in my last bought plane one week ago ???

Re: NORTHREF button INOP in my plane.

Who dares to answer ???

3 (edited by Karl Lepp 2015-09-28 21:49:11)

Yes it does not work because the aircraft has a very lacking implementation of magnetic and true tracks. Try flying a polar route in the A330 without the nav display acting all crazy. For me it was about 40-45 degrees west during the northernmost part of the cruise. I flew from Juneau, Alaska to Hannover, Germany.

Seeing as the magnetic declination for, for example, Thule VOR (76 32N 68 15W) is about -42 degrees, I'd say that explains it. The aircraft on the navdisplay is pointed in the magnetic heading and the flight plan track is rendered using true tracks. Since the northref button is not implemented properly, I'm guessing it is a coding limitation. I don't know if you understand what I'm saying, because I'm really bad at explaining things.

Anyway, the worse the magnetic declination is, the larger the discrepancy between the aircraft and the flightplan headings on the nav display. The A/C still follows the plan correctly, its just a visual quirk.

EDIT: Sorry, it is very late in the evening and I totally misread your question. I don't understand what your question is. Maybe someone else can chip in.

OS: win8.1, XP version: Always the latest beta, unless stated otherwise.

Sorry, I was not enough clear. I have discovered in the very usefull video about A 330 a pilot using the button NORTHREF in a very usefull manner !!!! that is to say When you press it the flight plan appears on the pannel.
When it would be available ??

5 (edited by captbullett 2015-09-29 13:36:47)

Good day,
Karl is almost right he's is on the right tract but as a navy vet let me try to explain, first you have magnetic north and then you have True North since, I have not paid attention to the button this is where I am guessing that the NORTHREF is for the True North setting which you can use and is tied into the gyros so, when your FP is as Karl pointed out a Polar route you can track True North and not have your computer go hay-wire.. now this is my theory I could be very wrong so, don't quote me on it... and here is a link to explain what the two are by the pro's:

this is the best explanation : https://support.groundspeak.com/index.p … amp;id=226

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_declination

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outd … r-gps2.htm
captbullett     

peterfly3 wrote:

Sorry, I was not enough clear. I have discovered in the very usefull video about A 330 a pilot using the button NORTHREF in a very usefull manner !!!! that is to say When you press it the flight plan appears on the pannel.
When it would be available ??